Top 10: CCHS vs. Marist
By KEVIN MOBLEY – Guest Writer
10. Clarke Central High School’s starting quarterback is junior Cameron Johnson, a returning player who passed for 1,663 yards and 22 touchdowns last season.
9. As a preseason accolade, wide receiver senior Amir Williams was included in the Athens Banner-Herald’s “Terrific Ten.” Unfortunately, Williams will be sidelined with an collar bone injury for this game.
8. CCHS faced the loss of star running back Quenshaun Watson to the University of Tennessee, a spot that will be filled by senior Jalani Payne.
7. CCHS head coach Leroy Ryals is entering his seventh season at the helm of the Gladiators.
6. There is only one freshman on the varsity roster: tight end Anthony Smith.
5. CCHS has been promoted to an AAAAA classification in region eight. This will be the first ever football game for CCHS in this classification.
4. Tight end Greg Taboada of Marist is a nationally rated prospect who has received scholarship offers from the University of Alabama, Florida State University, the University of Oregon and the University of South Carolina, among others.
3. CCHS is ranked no. 3 in the Georgia High School Association’s all-time top 10 programs; Marist is ranked no. 10.
2. CCHS finished last season with a 10-2 record, losing in the second round of the GHSA playoffs to Northside High School.
1. CCHS is coming off of a win, defeating North Oconee High School 27-19 in its preseason scrimmage game.